Closing the “Experience Gap”
Live It Learn It programs are different. They help close an “experience gap” that contributes greatly to an “achievement gap” among students of different backgrounds.
Since 2005, Live It Learn It’s model of connecting D.C. public school students to the treasures of the nation’s capital in a rigorous, academic manner, has seen a dramatic impact on student achievement and motivation.
For more on how the model works:
– Partnerships with Title I schools: We offer our high-quality programs to students who need them the most – those in high-poverty schools that often lack the resources to provide experiential learning opportunities.
– Rigorous three-part learning model: Each Live It Learn It experience consists of a pedagogically sound learning loop – extensive preparation, intensive experience, and guided reflection – to insure that students get the most out of each program.
– Engaging curricular materials: For each of our thirty programs, our staff has developed rich, detailed curricular materials that are interdisciplinary, age-appropriate, and aligned with Common Core standards.
– Transformative effect on teachers: Partner teachers see firsthand the powerful effect that our experiential learning programs have on their students, and they often respond by incorporating more active learning into their daily lessons.
– Emphasis on rigor and engagement: We understand that children learn best when they are motivated to learn, so our programs are designed to inspire joy and excitement.